ST. OLAV CATHOLIC
A brief history
In 1843 the first Catholic congregation in Norway since the Reformation was founded in Christiania (Oslo), as a result of a special dispensation from King Karl Johan.
The law on religious freedom was passed two years later. With this new law came the desire to build a Catholic church.
The plans were drawn up by architect H. E. Schirmer, and in 1856 St Olav’s Church was consecrated by the apostolic delegate in Stockholm, Mgr. J. L. Studach.
In 1975–76 the church was repaired and restored under the guidance of architects Thomas Thiis-Evensen and Jan Sigurd Østberg. The new main altar and the pillars of the nave are made of Norwegian granite.
A new organ with 20 stops was built by J. H. Jørgensen’s Organ Factory in Oslo.
Since 1953 St Olav’s Church has had the status of the Cathedral of the Diocese of Oslo.